- Date Posted: May 18, 2021
- Location: , Vail, CO
- Company: Vail Daily
- Job Type: Full Time
- Salary: $40k-$60k DOE
- Housing Offered: No
- Experience: 5-10 yrs
- Website: http://swiftcom.com/careers
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 7203823184
The Vail Daily seeks a seasoned, detail-oriented editor to lead its entertainment and sports/outdoors coverage in Colorado’s premier ski resort destination. This is the No. 2 leadership position in our 12-person newsroom. The assistant editor works in tandem with the managing editor to plot coverage, oversee the editing process of stories, manage newsroom staff, handle breaking news and oversee a daily news operation that produces seven daily papers a week, four separate entertainment sections, daily and weekly email newsletters and the most-trafficked website in our newspaper group.
This editor will oversee all of the go-and-do coverage in a place known for two world-class ski resorts, an array of outdoor recreation opportunities and a robust entertainment scene with a full calendar of live music events, dance performances, food and wine festivals, art happenings and more.
We’re looking for an adventurous spirit with a love for the mountain lifestyle. We work hard and we play hard here. You’ve got to be a planner who knows how to strategize and execute a wide variety of content — from in-depth features and profiles to short Q&As and lists of things to do— and be able to pivot quickly when news happens. This job is all about details — working with writers, designers and editors to execute insider coverage that empowers our readers to know where to go and what to do in the valley, hitting deadlines, writing SEO headlines that get engagement on the web and reworking them for print, mastering style guides, and driving social media engagement. We need a mature, ambitious editor who knows how to organize and run a content calendar, manage staff, has a vision for entertainment and outdoors coverage and knows how to juggle a number of short-term and long-term assignments at once. The editor will manage two entertainment reporters and the sports editor and is also tasked with overseeing a stable of freelancers. The assistant editor is also in charge of the newsroom when the editor is off on vacation and for weekend editing duties.
Here at the Vail Daily, we punch above our weight, producing award-winning, impactful journalism that captures the spirit of this remarkable place and strengthens the bonds of our communities.
Full disclosure: It snows here — a lot, if we’re lucky.
Compensation: $40,000-$60,000 DOE.
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Oversee entertainment and sports/outdoors coverage
- Manage two entertainment reporters, sports editor and freelancers
- Manage content calendar and oversee freelance budget
- Line edit stories from start to finish for quality, context, style and grammar
- Build and maintain search-optimized content in key areas
- Analyze audience trends and engagement patterns to increase search visibility, page views, and alert the newsroom to opportunities
- Follow best practices on photo selection, headline writing and SEO
- Constructively collaborate across the company, taking on tasks and projects of varying scope
- Take photos and video as well as create and share content on social media
- Demonstrate effective use of social media tools to source stories and drive traffic to our digital and print products
- Work well with community leaders/figures as well as other newsroom staff.
- Be flexible in a changing, fast-paced environment
- Ensure accuracy, fairness and correct spelling in all reporting duties
- Follow direction and vision of the Vail Daily managing editor
- Make assigned deadlines without exception
- Fill in for reporting vacancies as needed
- Be ethical within the guidelines set by the editor
- Be a team leader
- College degree
- 5 years of newsroom experience
- Management experience as an editor
- Experience with content management systems
- Familiarity with a variety of social media platforms
- Digital photography experience
- Knowledge of AP style
- Spanish language skills preferred
- Availability to work some nights and weekends
- Must be able to stand for extended periods of time
- Must have a current driver’s license or the ability to get one
To apply, forward bio & resume to our email address. View more info at link below:
Swift Communications is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.