- Date Posted: February 11, 2021
- Location: Multiple Locations
- Company: Breakwater Expeditions
- Job Type: Full Time
- Salary: $125/day - $225/day, plus $ for prep/breakdown
- Housing Offered: Yes
- Experience: 2-5 yrs
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 208-263-0277
The Breakwater Guide will supervise client’s staff and participants to provide physically and emotionally safe expedition activities and ensure that all trip dynamics are ran in accordance with the standards of Breakwater Expeditions. Ideal candidates are dynamic and experienced guides who have the passion to help facilitate meaningful and goal oriented expeditions for our clients.
Appropriate candidates will have strong interpersonal and technical skills, and are looking for opportunities to grow in the outdoor industry. Applicants must have the ability to plan and execute work effectively, demonstrate clear and concise expression of ideas, and establish and maintain effective working relationships with coworkers, supervisors and the general public.
- Plan, manage, and execute logistics (food, itinerary, equipment, organization/ planning) and programming for trips.
- When appropriate, plan, manage and execute programming.
- When required make pre-trip participant calls as well as facilitate group video conferencing with participants and staff to prep group for upcoming trip.
- Ability to work and assist clients in staying healthy, safe, and comfortable in varying climates.
- Manage emergency situation and adhere to all local operating procedures, safety policies, and emergency response plan as outlined within the staff manual.
- Provide clear and effective communication with Breakwater management and staffing team.
- Drive 15 passenger van with a fully loaded trailer for long distances.
Preferred knowledge & skills:
- Possess a general zest for life and propensity towards laughter.
- Is highly comfortable in the outdoors and has a strong ability for self-care to ensure primary focus is on the expedition and its participants.
- Ability to maintain and support appropriate professional boundaries with clients and participants.
- Baseline understanding of map and compass navigation, land, oceanic, and rivers.
- Proficiency in flat-water canoeing and/or sea kayaking.
- Awareness of outdoor hazards and local area weather patterns, as well as tide charts and flash flood warning.
- Must be flexible and willing to accept changes.
- Ability to build rapport quickly with participants of multiple ages, backgrounds, genders, ethnicity, etc.
- Effective communication with participants, program staff, and co-guides.
- Comfortable giving and receiving feedback to and from co-guides and management team.
- Must be 21 years or older
- 2-5 years guiding experience
- Have a valid driver’s license
- Possess a current WFR and CPR
- Willingness to participate in a background check and a motor vehicle record check
- Compensation ranges from $125/day – $225/day, with $100/day for prep and break down days on either side of the trip.
- The right candidate will move up the ladder quickly!
To apply, contact Angie via email or phone.
For more info, visit here: https://www.breakwaterexp.com/join-our-team
Based in Sandpoint, Idaho, Breakwater Expeditions operates 1-2 week long backcountry water-based wilderness trips in Prince William Sound, Alaska; Exuma Cays, Bahamas; Everglades, Florida; Upper Missouri River, Montana; Black Canyon, Nevada; Big Bend, Texas; Green River, Utah; San Juan Islands, Washington; Yellowstone N.P., Wyoming and the Yukon River, Yukon Territory. Our trips are a majority of sea kayaking, river canoeing, and ocean canoeing. We average 20-25 trips a year.
Breakwater Expeditions specializes in creating custom outdoor programming for traditional and therapeutic schools and programs, non-profits, and other entities that share a common thread. In addition, Breakwater also offers therapeutic and non-therapeutic single and multi-family trips. We have a wide range of clientele that expects extremely experienced and professional guiding and leadership