- Date Posted: January 22, 2021
- Location: , CA, ID, OR, UT
- Company: OARS
- Job Type: Seasonal
- Salary: TBD
- Housing Offered: Maybe
- Experience: 0-2 yrs
- Email: Apply via link
OARS is looking for professional, safety-oriented, exciting guides to join our guide staff. OARS guides combine a passion for the outdoors with compassion for our guests, a desire to learn with the talent to teach and a flexible attitude with a steadfast commitment to conservation. OARS guides deliver the highest levels of service because we love what we do, we love the undeniably special places we visit and we love having a positive impact on the lives of others.
During our guide school and/or training courses, you will be trained on all aspects of becoming a guide, no previous experience is required to apply. Four of our six locations bring on inexperienced guides. Selecting a location to work one-day trips (American River or Dinosaur National Monument/Vernal) is the fastest route to paid work as a guide and these are also the locations that offer guide school. Regardless of region, inexperienced guides need to attend in-house training and/or guide school in the specific area you are seeking work.
Locations include: CA, ID, OR, UT
Each of our regional operations has a slightly different hiring process. If your application is received outside of January-March, you may experience a delay before receiving a personalized response.
- Minimum of CPR, Swiftwater training (for whitewater guides), WAT, First-Aid level as follows:
- – – Wilderness First Responder or greater is required for multi-day guides
- – – Wilderness First Aid or greater is required for one-day guides
- Communication, Customer service, and People skills
- Understanding of natural history
- Leadership qualities
- Ability to work with a wide array of demographics including varieties in age, race, culture, etc.
- Willingness to work all aspects of the job
- Capable of working long hours
- Physically fit-water based guides must be able to self-rescue back into boat
- Team player
- Fluent English
- Safety conscious
- Competency in all above duties and responsibilities
- Camping and outdoor cooking skills
- Appropriate training and experience for the river or trail, water level and type of craft used on the trip.
Click link below for more info, and to apply: