- Date Posted: March 28, 2021
- Location: , Highlands, NC
- Company: Old Edwards Inn and Spa
- Job Type: Seasonal
- Salary: $16 /hr
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 828-787-2697
Old Edwards Inn and Spa
Dates: April – October.
This is a seasonal, full-time position, paying $16.00 per hour.
5-6 days/week, 40 hours per week, with some morning and evening shifts. Hours may be variable depending on the time of the year. Crew members receive hands on training in all aspects of our diversified production system as well as the option for extracurricular educational experiences.
The Culinary Gardens of Old Edwards Inn & Spa are used to cultivate acres of raised bed and greenhouse/high tunnel, organic, mixed vegetable crops, herbs, and flowers using agro-ecological principles. We are Organic in practice. We provide food for our restaurants, CSA, and special events. Our gardens are also kept to show quality standards to allow guests of OEI to experience our authentic Farm to Table process.
As a member of our farm crew you will join a team of experienced organic farmers and have the opportunity to work within all aspects of our farming operation. Farm crew members will have responsibilities including propagation house work, weed control, field planting, harvest and post-harvest handling, and deliveries of food. Farm crew will also be expected to help manage areas of production including pest and fertility management, greenhouse production, and irrigation. This is a seasonal, hourly position with 5-6 days/week, 40 hours per week, with some morning and evening shifts. Hours may be variable depending on the time of the year. Crew members receive hands on training in all aspects of our diversified production system as well as the option for extracurricular educational experiences.
- At least one year of previous farming experience preferred, but Not required- Many other fields have applicable skills and experience. This is an outdoor, manual labor position.
- Physical dexterity and agility necessary in all aspects of the job for safety and efficiency
- Consistent attention to detail
- Able to lift heavy & awkward objects, up to 50 lbs.
- Work well independently and in a team setting
- Able to take direction, ask for help/clarity, and accept constructive feedback on work and technique
- Clear, consistent communication
- Able to perform repetitive work in inclement weather – standing, kneeling, bending over. OEI will provide appropriate protective wear.
- Small engine operation and tractor experience a plus
- Must having working cell phone and personal vehicle Additional desired qualities include: environmentally conscious, detail oriented, self-motivated, energetic, and professional. We only work with smiles on our team! SOCIAL
The seasonal farm crew is responsible for the following:
- Harvesting produce efficiently and consistently for a variety of markets
- Transplanting and direct seeding crops reliably
- Cultivation of crops by hand, with various tools, and mechanically
- Irrigation setup, maintenance, and operation
- Support implementation of integrated pest management plan
- Greenhouse propagation and management Mowing/greenspace management
- Oversee general upkeep of OEI Culinary Garden sites including, but not limited to, weeding, mowing, weed-eating, leaf blowing, sweeping, garbage disposal
- Using appropriate instructed mowing or string trimming equipment in designated areas around various organically managed vegetable fields
- Operate with respect around vegetable production to reduce crop loss
- Maintain OEI standards of attention to detail when considering how the area looks as well as functions
- Ability to manage personal time and tasks around the weather
- Loading and driving with any needed equipment (up to 50 lbs)
- Post-Harvest Handling, Processing and Delivery
- Post-harvest handling, including receiving and processing produce for a variety of accounts
- Packing orders consistently in a fast-paced environment
- Delivering orders to our restaurants in Highlands General Farm Production Team
- Maintain a smooth, timely flow with team members while working through projects
- Make sound judgment calls on product grading and time management General
- Work cross-functionally with farm teams to ensure efficient and effective communication and operations
- Represent OEI in a positive, professional manner, engaging with and educating visitors about OEI’s mission and programs
- Perform other duties as needed and assigned by the Farm Manager
To view more info, and to apply, visit link below:
Or call/email for more info.
Old Edwards Inn and Spa is a Four-Star luxury resort in the North Carolina mountains, with an eye toward wellness and sustainability. We are always on the lookout for new team members who understand how to unobtrusively yet authentically cater to luxury hotel guests’ every need. Our company culture creates an energetic and creative “family” who values the contributions of each of our team members. Not only will you gain valuable training and experience in the luxury hospitality at Old Edwards, but you will find your work here rewarding, satisfying and fun. Our culture of appreciation, teamwork and camaraderie is why our team members enjoy long tenures and growth in their roles here.