- Date Posted: January 16, 2021
- Location: Taylorsville, CA
- Company: Sierra Institute for Community and Environment
- Job Type: Seasonal
- Salary: $702-$837 /week
- Housing Offered: Yes
- Experience: 0-2 yrs
- Website: http://pcrew.sierrainstitute.us/apply/
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 530-284-1022
Four dynamic individuals with excellent leadership skills needed to lead diverse groups of high school students in a variety of restoration and resource management projects as part of its youth corps program: Plumas Conservation Restoration & Education in Watersheds (P-CREW). Crew Leaders are responsible for managing twelve, 10th-12th grade teens for two, month-long sessions while supporting restoration efforts on the Plumas and Lassen National Forests and adjacent lands in the Northern Sierra.
Participants do not go home during the month-long program, so Crew Leaders are responsible for the youth full time. This includes facilitating fun, safe, and sustainable recreation with the crews on weekends. Under the guidance of Sierra Institute’s P-CREW Program Manager, Field Coordinator, and Program Assistant, the Crew Leaders will work with professional partners to complete projects with students such as: fuel reduction, trail maintenance, fencing and invasive species removal. Crew Leaders will be experienced outdoor professionals with the skills and interests to serve as excellent role models with an exemplary work ethic and the desire to devote themselves to a crew experience where the needs of others are placed above oneself. This is a unique opportunity to make a difference in the lives of youth and be part of a growing, innovative program.
One of the twelve crew members will be an Alumni “All-Star” Assistant – Leader in Training, a youth who has successfully completed a P-CREW session and is returning to gain leadership experience. Crew Leaders will manage and mentor the Alumni All- Star Assistant, helping them advance in a leadership role. As Crew Leader, you will be part of a team of three field staff, which includes a second Crew Leader (your co- lead) and an Alumni All-Star Assistant.
The Sierra Institute is located in rural Taylorsville, CA surrounded by millions of acres of national forest. Crew Leaders will be camping in the field with program participants. The salary for the Crew Leader is $837 per week (potential flexibility DOE) for just over eight-week summer season, and $702 for training and close out weeks. Meals are provided when in the field (approximately 9 of the 12 weeks).
Program Background: P-CREW provides opportunities for urban and rural teens to restore the environment, learn about natural resource management, gain job skills, and disconnect from technology while they camp for four consecutive weeks working 40 hours a week on projects that benefit the environment. P-CREW runs two crews simultaneously for a total of four throughout the summer.
- Experience performing outdoor conservation work
- Wilderness First Aid certification
- Experience working with high schoolers (ages 15-18), preferably one season with responsibilities similar to this position
- Backcountry experience
- Teambuilding facilitation experience
- Excellent leadership skills, a positive attitude, and a sense of humor
- Excellent problem-solving ability and confidence, adapting “on-the-fly”
- Willing to work long hours, and be responsible for crew 24 hours a day/7 days per week in the field and at camp
- Ability to pass a background test
- Clean driving record with the ability to safely drive an SUV with trailer or a 6- passenger pickup truck on windy dirt roads and in cities with participants
- Extreme flexibility and adaptability (camp, project, or recreation locations/activities could change the night before) and time management skills
- Comfortable working with a diverse group of high school participants in unpredictable back and front country settings
- Experience managing a camp kitchen
- Wilderness First Responder Certification
- Conservation Crew Leader experience
- Lifeguard Certificate
- Crosscut Sawyer Certification
- Experience in conflict management and leading group debriefs
- Knowledge of trail maintenance and tool use
- Responsibilities and Duties- Including but not limited to:
- Successfully completing conservation projects on time and motivating the crew
- Driving crews to and from work and camp sites safely
- Creating a safe environment for youth to grow while managing group dynamics
- Capturing before and after photos of projects, and taking pictures of the crew at work and camp
- Teaching meal planning and cooking skills to the crew
- Completing daily and weekly paperwork (Project Accomplishments, Incident Reports, Daily Entries, etc.)
- Teaching students Leave No Trace principles and ensuring that they maintain a safe and clean camp
- Teaching educational lessons with the aid of a curriculum
- Leading recreation trips on weekends: backpacking, rock climbing, swimming…
- Conducting personal check-ins as well as mid-session and final evaluations of crew members
- Administering first aid and keeping detailed records
- Leading evening debriefs and teambuilding activities
- Responsible for the proper and safe treatment of all P-CREW gear and equipment
Start and end dates: June 1, 2021- August 27, 2021
Salary: The salary for the Crew Leader is $837 per week (potential flexibility DOE) for just over eight-week summer season, and $702 for training and close out weeks. Meals are provided when in the field (approximately 9 of the 12 weeks).
To Apply: Please send a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references as one document. Submit application materials to our email address with “P-CREW Crew Leader” in the subject line. Positions are open until filled. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. Sierra Institute for Community and Environment is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
View their website here: https://pcrew.sierrainstitute.us/